CALM works closely with midwives, consumers, policy makers and the state legislature to ensure access to the safe, patient-centered care with licensed midwives.
Our current legislative and policy agenda includes:
End the Medical Board’s regulatory oversight of licensed midwives (LMs), which creates an inherent conflict of interest that has led to a regulatory stalemate, putting VBAC clients at risk and preventing LMs from providing Comprehensive Perinatal Services to clients who qualify.
Transfer regulatory oversight for licensed midwives (LMs) to an independent, LM-majority Midwifery Board with the authority to develop an evidence-based scope of practice and practice guidelines that meet the needs of midwives and especially the safety of midwife clients.
Remove the regulatory barriers that prevent Licensed Midwives from providing Alternative Birth Center specialty clinic services to clients seeking birth center care.
Recent legislative victories:
- Passed legislation to protect peer review and establish the ability to form professional corporations
- Organized district visits to build the relationships with legislators midwives need to ensure the best possible legislation
- Tracked California state legislation to monitor for bills and amendments that restrict practice
- Developed a proactive legislative strategy designed to increase access to licensed midwifery
- Continued fighting against VBAC restrictions
- Hands-on support and policy-level advocacy for midwives navigating Medi-Cal enrollment and Medi-Cal reimbursement process
- Worked alongside Certified Nurse Midwives to avoid practice restrictions that could impact licensed midwives